Development Officer (Building) or (Planning)
- Excellent problem-solving skills to analyse and resolve complex matters.
- Permanent full-time roles for 35 hours per week.
- Flexible working with optional 9-day fortnight.
We are seeking experienced Development Officers with a building surveying and / or planning focus to join us on a permanent basis in our Development Assessment Teams.
Working as part of our busy Regulatory, Planning and Assessment service unit, you will provide professional advice to internal and external customers regarding development proposal, assessment procedures, statutory requirements, adopted development control plans and general planning, development and building issues.
Utilising your experience and knowledge, you will undertake site inspections of development projects at various stages of progress, liaising with stakeholders to ensure their compliance with terms of consents, building code of Australia and other relevant standards of performance, using enforcement provisions as appropriate.
Your professionalism will promote CN’s reputation as a competent, efficient and courteous service provider, consistently delivering high quality development outcomes while maintaining a strong customer service focus.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include a range of flexible working options, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
The essentials you’ll need:
- Recognised tertiary qualifications or demonstrated equivalent experience in one or more of the following: - town planning; building surveying; engineering or a related discipline.
- Experience and demonstrated competence in the assessment and determination of Development and / or Construction Certificate applications, including the conduct of routine progress inspections on development projects.
- Knowledge of the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the Building Code of Australia.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to competently address technical issues.
- Sound written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills, computer literacy and competence in the preparation of reports
- Demonstrated ability to monitor development matters (approved or otherwise) and to take appropriate action to ensure compliance with relevant statutory requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective team member of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Ability to manage work priorities efficiently and to work independently with a minimum of supervision, with a strong customer service focus.
- Eligible and willing to work as a CN Accredited Certifier under the NSW Building Professionals Board Accreditation Scheme (related to the Building team).
- Possession of a current Class C drivers’ licence or equivalent.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 27 September 2020.
Remuneration: $82,844 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 35-hour week.
Contact: Steven Masia, Development Assessment Coordinator (Planning), 0457 840 656. Brad McCarron, Development Assessment Coordinator (Building), 0418 699 391.