Senior Development Officer (Planning)
Permanent Full-Time - 35 hours per week
We are looking for a highly motivated professional to work within the Development and Building Services Group. As the Senior Development Officer (Planning) you will be responsible for assessing development applications under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, providing advice to internal and external customers regarding development proposals, assessment procedures, development control plans and general planning and building issues.
In addition you will provide a tutoring / mentoring role to less experienced team members and will actively contribute to policy development and process improvement initiatives.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Tertiary level qualifications in Town Planning, Environmental Health and Building Surveying, Environmental Science, Engineering or a related discipline.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated competence in the assessment and determination of development applications and / or the preparation of local environmental plans, development control plans, or policy development in the area of development and building control.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in working under the Local Government Act 1993 and in the application of relevant environmental planning and development control legislation, including Ecologically Sustainable Development (ESD) principles.
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills with a demonstrated ability to address technical issues.
- Proficiency in contributing within a multi-disciplinary team environment, with demonstrated skills in leadership, motivation and development of staff.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated competence in the preparation of reports on complex matters.
- Demonstrated competence in conflict resolution and negotiating appropriate outcomes.
- Experience and ability to work independently and in managing competing workplace priorities, with a strong customer service focus.
- Computer literacy.
- Current Driver's Licence.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
Newcastle City Council proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunities and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the section criteria of the position. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 11 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here
Application Closing Date: Friday, 20th October 2017, 11:59pm
Remuneration: Total Remuneration Rate $94,001.49 plus 9.5% superannuation for a 35 hour week + option of a leaseback vehicle.
For additional information, please contact Priscilla Emmett, Development Assessment Team Coordinator on (02) 4974 2763.